The village of Gorjani is situated in the Osijek-Baranja County, at the altitude of around 120m.
Gorjani was first mentioned in a document by the Croatian-Hungarian King Béla III (IV) in the year 1244, which refers to the land Gora (“terra Gora”). The same land and people (“populi de Garra”) are also mentioned in the King’s 1269 deed of gift, by which he granted the “terra Gora” to the feudal Duružmić family, who would later change their family name to Gorjanski. Historical documents from the 13th and 14th centuries show that the village saw quick and significant development under its new masters, first as “possessio Gara”, then as “civitas Gara”, and finally as “oppidum Gara” (market town Gorjani). In this Croatian-Hungarian royal borough, the Gorjanski family established the town square, while the Dominican monastery – later the parish church and monastery – was built earlier. Gorjani’s historical records show that it has been continuously populated since the 13th century.
Upon their arrival in Gorjani, Turkish conquerors destroyed the fortress and the Dominican monastery. They spared only an old Christian cemetery and the associated church of St Peter. There isn’t much surviving data on the size and population of Gorjani under Turkish rule.